Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chanel Spring 2010


Alright, I know I'm late with this, very late... but I plan on going back with my blog and recapturing past fashion events, trends, icons in history etc. but right now I'd like to go not so far back in time and present to you Karl Lagerfeld's show for Chanel's Spring 2010 collection.

This one really hits home for me. I grew up on a farm and my theory is that because of my lack of social aptness and my lack of influence for fashion, (Not to mention my oblivion in general) I was an aesthetic late bloomer. Chanel took a young country approach to the show this season and if I were ever to be homesick for the farm, (which I never am) this show would have done it. The barns and haystacks and dirt floors and enchanting clothing enthralled me, making me want something that never existed for me as a child.




















What a bizzare concept for me that this show combines an uncharacteristically young look and a farm atmosphere. Ironic almost. If only my farm were in Paris like this show.


I was pleasantly surprised to see the youthful change in the chanel line this season. My biggest association with Chanel comes from my time working at Henry Birk's and Sons. My manager was a hard yet elegant woman. She had previously worked for Chanel and almost always wore a Chanel suit; soft, thick tweed in muted colors mostly (unlike her personality). She was a middle aged business woman who didn't let her gender or anything else get in the way of her running a prestigious and successful flagship store as the general manager. Socially she is a sweetheart and I still go to visit her in the store here and there. She is a Chanel customer and although I think she'd probably immensely appreciate this show, I think she might leave this season to the younger women of the world this spring. Rihanna, Lily Allen, and Prince attended the show and I feel like this was such a suiting audience for the show.





Let's talk about Lily Allen's performance. Yes, Lily Allen and her band were raised up and out from the ground singing "Not fair" If you've never seen the video for this song, here it is. Perfect. It was just the perfect song. It's young, edgy, sexual and has a huge old western flare to it. Fantastic. And did Karl decide to include the sexual innuendo in the show because of the song or did he specifically choose the song for the performance he'd put together? Regardless it all came together quite wonderfully. For a moment I expected Lily to be wearing something a bit more country western but then I remembered. It's Lily Allen, she has to stand out. This was a great little piece to reel in new Chanel customers which seemed to be the point of the show.





I laughed a little when I caught wind that new Chanel model Nastya Karzan had a spycam hidden in her hair. The footage is actually quite fun to watch. Seeing through the eyes of a model in a huge show like this is just an unexpected point of view. Of course I prefer to see the full show but I think this was a fun, innovative and interesting way to create some media buzz. It might have had more effective if it weren't so obvious that it was planted by Chanel (Seeing people fixing the camera along the way gave it away) but nevertheless Chanel is giving you the experience from every angle. Almost literally.






I hate to subscribe to rumors but this one seemed appropriate to mention. Apparently Karl Lagerfeld is not renewing his contract with Chanel. Is this it for the Lagerfeld/Chanel partnership? It seems to have ground considering what an unexpected and fantastic show he put together. Is this him leaving chanel with a bang? Or is Karl Lagerfeld targeting and expanding the chanel client and people interpreting it as a final show and starting rumors? I seriously doubt that it'll be his final show with Chanel but we'll have to wait and see.
What beautiful cuts, prints, fabrics and cuts. I love the large floral print. Boy do I have a few things to learn because as a designer I'd never pick out this fabric but it looks fantastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment