Sunday, January 10, 2010

Fine art and Fashion


I attended a gallery event on Friday night and there was some phenomenal local work and some pretty strong local art cliques, but that's pretty typical of Vancouver. It was held in a large art and clothing store called the Ayden Gallery (http://www.aydengallery.com/home/) which is located in Tinseltown. Here are a few pieces that I saw and are relevant to what I'm about to say.




Artists: Lani Imre, TiFdyL (Taka Sudo), and Ben Tour.









I saw Lani Imre working on the painting with the girl and the dog at a Holt Renfrew art event a few months back, She works very quickly and is very talented.



















Last quarter I was in foundation courses which essentially meant I did less fashion courses and more basic courses focusing on fine art. I produced some great stuff, one piece i did was a pop art piece of Lady Gaga, which I took to her concert and although I didn't meet her, a fabulous girl by the name of Melissa took it to the meet and greet session with her and had Lady Gaga sign it.

Anyway, my point is that I thought that I would be kissing goodbye to painting, drawing, etc. for a long time, but this art event showcased the artist's work on clothing which reminded me of one of my original ideas. We've been using print in fashion for a long time, and perhaps the most successful fine art right now is that being printed onto garments. So although I may take a side step from my fine art to focus more on sewing and fashion, one day, we'll all meet and have a party, I'm sure.


I had an idea to print large faces and portraits onto large dresses one day. The focus for me was to think of something that just hadn't been done before and to make it unique. Shortly after (March 2009) D&G came out with this:
Gorgeous.

No comments:

Post a Comment