Thursday, January 7, 2010

The Dragon Wears Prada

This is the documentation of today's world of fashion and the diminishing of my soul.

I am a fashion student and the most natural way I tend to learn is to teach. My dream is to live in New York and be immersed in the fashion industry. Hopefully this blog will help me continue my creativity, networking, but most of all learn and document my learning. Here we go.

At school today I met my marketing teacher. I've heard of her before, but by the name of Dragon Lady or the Monster. I have prematurely concluded that they have a point in that she is a tough professor and tolerates nothing other than well informed, punctual professionalism and most of us (if not the entire class) disappoint her, but they add in a hint of hate because they are just not used to someone so honest and direct. I think I love her. Today when few to none of us knew the names of world renowned editors and bloggers, she told us that "Ignorance in fashion is not cool or acceptable, especially when you are in the industry". Brutal, yes but you know what? She is right. We all have access to all of this information on the web. It's 2010. Catch up time. Boy, do I have my work cut out for me. (Tavi is 13 and knows tons about fashion, and learned it in two years. I can do this. [Style Rookie: http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/) My marketing prof is the most confident, well informed, passionate, honest and professional person I might have ever met. I feel like I'll come out of this class emotionally beaten, but I'll be at the top of my game on many levels. I hope she rubs off on me a little. (Her blog is www.searchingforstyle.com)

I feel like I might have to trade in my straight A's for some humility and a touch of a reality check this quarter. Take them. I'm ready.

My biggest stress right now is money. Tuition is violatingly expensive so much so that I've got the maximum amount of student loans the government will give a student and I don't see a penny of it. In fact, I have to pay the school an extra $500 a month just for tuition. They want us to buy hundreds of dollars more of supplies (even though we bought a startup kit that is worth over $700 and "includes everything"). On top of that, there's rent, bills, books and fabric. Things weren't nearly this tight at college. This is what I want though and I'll make it work. Somehow. At least starving students are thinner.

It's the first week of school this quarter and I've already forgotten the existence of days off, 2009, holidays and my new years eve filled with sketched out shirtless men and fun drunken solo dancing to old tunes at the Builtmore. (Oh and the "Vapid can't play" graffiti in the builtmore mens bathroom.) This year is about self proclaimed success. It's hard work but unquestionably worth it. I'm going to have to pull an all nighter or 5 to get everything done.

On my mind right now: Burberry's new 2010 collection that's all neutral colors and fitted draping. Amazing. In my Costume History class right now I'm identifying the influence in this line from old bleached linen drapery with plunging necklines they used in original Egyptian clothing. Also on my mind: a girl I saw today with black knee high boots (Suede? in Vancouver?) black tights and a black leather jacket, long grey top with a black wide necked turtle neck. She didn't look amazing, but she looked good. Very West Coast. I snyped a photo from my iPhone. I'll get it up as soon as I figure out how.

I realize this blog is fairly light on fashion and trends but I wanted to set this blog up, and go and do some proper research before I start really posting. So time to shove my head into the blogs and study. (Who else can say that other than a fashion student?)

1 comment:

  1. the Dragon? honestly....that's so rude.
    Alexandra is amazing, and I know most students would disagree, because MOST of AI students are slackers and have no reason to be there at all. I adore her harshness. She is the only teacher who really understands what's going on, and knows how to set rules. I adored being in her class and watching her battle anyone who tried to step in during her class time. You're in her class so you'll get to witness it, too haha. Anyways, you have nothing to worry about. She just acts the way people in the real world of fashion act. It's hilarious to me that students find her so mean.

    Enjoy : )

    ReplyDelete